Our History

 

 

November 25, 1925
John J. Doody opens Doody Home Center at its original location in Brooklyn on the corner of Jerome Ave & East 18th Street - specializing in the building supply business with sand, cement, brick & block.

 
1932
    With the death of his father, John R. Doody Sr, becomes the 2nd Generation President of Doody Home Center
       
1934
    Moved to the current location at the corner of East 17th St. & Ave. Y. During this time, the business was ushed the brink of extinction. Doody Home Center survived The Great Depression by securing the exclusive supply contract for the construction of Lundy's (Corner of Ocean & Emmons Ave.)
       
1949
    Doody Home Center was the sole supplier of the Thoroseal Waterproofing Products used in the construction of the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel.
       
1959
    Construction & revamping added a second floor to building as well a lumber yard
       
1962
    With his father ill, John R. Doody Jr. assumes operation of the store's day to day operations & becomes the 3rd President of Doody Home Center
       
1963
    Ceased operation in the building material business with thesale of all company trucks
       
1968
    The company purchased the site of Acme Grocery Store on Victory Boulevard in Staten Island...This would become the future site of the 2nd Doody Home Center location.
       
1969
    Doody Home Center opens their doors in Staten Island
       
1982
    The son of John R. Doody Jr, Peter S. Doody, begins working in the family business.
       
1993
    With the retirement of his father, Peter S. Doody becomes the company's 4th President
       
2000
    The original Brooklyn location celebrates its 75th Anniversary of serving the residents of Brooklyn
       
2009
    Doody Home Center Staten Island celebrates 40 years in operation